CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Jul 26, 2013

Liebster Award!!!!

I can't believe I've been nominated for a Liebster Award, thank you very much Dava Smith English Teacher.

In order to accept this award, I have to do the following things:

1. Link back to the blog(s) that nominated me

2. Nominate 5-11 blogs with fewer than 200 followers

3. Answer the questions posted by nominator

4. Create 11 questions for my nominees

5. Share 11 random facts about yourself

6. Contact my nominees and let them know I nominated them

Dava asked me:

1. What is your favorite professional development book for teaching reading, writing, or grammar? If these aren't your areas of expertise, pick any PD book that you love. I would have to say, "When Kids Can't Read: What Teachers Can Do: A Guide for Teachers 6-12" by Kylene Beers. This is my first year teaching and I will be in a low-income Title I area, and I feel like this book has really prepared me for getting my students to understand, love, and appreciate reading.

2. What thought inspires you to continue through the tough days? I am a firm believer that God will not put you through anything you can not handle, so I try to live by this everyday.

3. What is your hobby (i.e. what do you do when you aren't teaching, planning, grading, etc.)? I started knitting last year, so I love to just practice knitting new things, sorry I don't have any pics right now. I also like to try new recipes in the kitchen, cooking soothes me.

4. What is your favorite book to teach and why? If you don't teach books, pick your favorite topic. This is my first year teaching so I don't know yet, but I think I may teach Holes this year, just because I loved it as a kid, and I think it teaches really good morals, about caring for one another, and how sometimes things just happen for no reason and we have to push ourselves to pull through tough times.

5. Explain aspects your classroom organization system that help your classroom run smoothly. Again, first year teacher, but I thin that from the beginning I will be enforcing rules and procedures and make sure that I am very consistent.

6. What is something new that you are going to try next year in your classroom? I'm really looking forward to using interactive notebooks in my class this year.

7. What is your favorite store and why? I love Target, because I can get any and everything I need there.

8. What type of technology do you use most in your classroom? I will definitely be using my computer for PowerPoint presentations a lot this upcoming school year.

9. What's your favorite teaching moment? Haven't had it yet, but I will definitely let you guys know.

10. What advice would you give to new teachers? Be patient with yourself, and your classroom, and don't give up.

11. What is your teaching style? I definitely want to have a hands-on learning/teaching experience with my class and try to relate everything they learn to their personal lives and the world around us.

11. Random Facts:

1. I love mystery books, really mystery everything.

2. I started a "natural" journey with my hair two years ago, and cut out all the perm in order to rock my natural hair texture, and It has been one of the most rewarding experiences ever.

3. I have a Morkie (Maltese + Yorkie) who is 6 months old named Marley after Bob Marley!

4. I have four younger sisters.

5. I took a year off after graduating to work with the National Park Service.

6. I was born in Germany. (My parents were in the Army)

7. I was a bartender for almost three years. ( I make a mean Long Island)

8. I am teaching in the same county where I went to public school!

9. I love macaroni and cheese.

10. I love food.

11. I dream about teaching, I am excited and nervous for my first year!

Okay so I would like to nominate (this was very hard because so many people have already been nominated):

Meatballs in the Middle

Middle School: Teacher/Director

Caught in the Middle

The Creative Classroom

Funds of Knowledge

Surviving Sixth Grade

Questions for my Nominees:

1. Why did you decide to be a teacher?

2. What is your favorite book to teach in the classroom and why?

3. What advice would you give to new teachers?

4. What color scheme/theme are you using in your classroom?

5. What school(s) did you attend for college?

6. How long have you been teaching?

7. If you weren't a teacher what would you be and why?

8. What do you do outside of teaching for fun?

9. What did you do for fun this summer?

10. How are you preparing for common core?

11. Last but not least what are you looking forward to doing in your classroom this year?

Thanks guys, can't wait to read your responses!

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Latasha!
    You are about to embark on an exciting journey teaching ELA! The first year is overwhelming, but believe me, it does get much easier. Be patient and enjoy the little successes.
    Thank you so much for the Liebster nomination! I've actually won before, but my blog was so new I was clueless about the whole thing. Actually, I still am pretty clueless!
    I am honored.
    Best of luck to you! If you ever have questions and need some ELA teacher advice,just give me a shout!
    Darlene
    meatballsinthemiddle

    ReplyDelete
  3. I finally got around to answering your questions! You can check out my post here.

    Your dog is adorable! I want to get a huskie....after we get a house! Haha

    I look forward to reading your posts about your first year as a 6th grade ELA teacher. Especially since I'll be student teaching the same grade and subject.

    Dawnn
    Funds of Knowledge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I saw your answers good luck with student teaching!

      Delete